Tuesday, October 28, 2008

First Entry

Just as the title portrays, this entry is not going to be that exciting. Not because I haven't done things worth writing, but because I just really don't have too much time at Peace Corps Head Quarters ( the bureau) with the queue at the computers, nor do I currently have a laptop I can pre type these entries with well thought out, clever and awe inspiring sentences...So that leaves me with telling you all the things that I've done, sans details. First, I swore in as an official volunteer August 25, 2008! It was an amazing night filled with semi-blurred memories. I then proceeded to do a lot of "cultural exchanges" with my village. I was assigned to a post city/village, called Assahoun/Keve , which is in the Prefecture of Ave. There is supposedly a population of 25,000 people, of whom I haven't all seen. In fact, I pretty much see the same people over and over again. I've been doing these " cultural exchanges" for the past 2 months, which consisted of eating the local foods and getting diarrhea, feeding them my own food and them getting diarrhea, and doing that all over again. You all may say, "Wow mike. This is disgusting that you'd write this on your blog!", but let me tell you this; bowel movements are a daily conversation starter for volunteers. You have a solid feces day, it's a good day. Besides eating the local food and getting sick, I've been doing a lot of research concerning business license for exporting Togolese made goods. That has been unfortunately depressing as it seems that the Togolese government makes it increasingly difficult for people to ship goods abroad through high tariffs and license fees. Even with AGOA (African Growth Opportunity Act), it still proves difficult.
I've also completed a national even called "AIDS Ride," where approximately 15 volunteers bike across their assigned region performing sensibilizations (sessions) about HIV/AIDS prevention. That, my friends, was gruelling and completely worth it. We biked average of 20-30 k daily in dirt, mud, sand pits, all while climbing hills. We even had accidents where volunteers were impaled my bike handle bars. I personally flipped over my handle bars, did a front roll and landed on my feet...ninjaaaa. I know. Anyway, across all the regions of Togo, Peace Corps has reached an estimated 20,000 people through these cross regional sessions!
On the personal front, I've made plenty of close friends, however, some of those friends have already E.T.ed (early terminate), which is always disheartening. I have an amazing cluster and hope that these new batch of volunteers will be as equally amicable. On that note, I better leave, as people are hustling and bussling around me. God Bless!

3 comments:

Max said...

Hey yo! It was great to read your blog and you had me cracking up, pal. I hope all continues to go okay on this awesome adventure! Please don't send any Togolese food back as I want to avoid lower gastro-intestinal problems as much as possible.

Now let's get on to the important questions - 1) do they have beer there? 2) is it good? 3) can you get beer cold there???

Will be in touch, but I need to know whether it would be worth it for me to get an international plan for my phone service. It would run me about $60 per year and then the cost of calls themselves. NOt sure how likely we would be able to connect and how likely you are to be able to get calls. Please let me know.

Max

mikekimtogo said...

MAX!!! Yeah man... gastro intestinal problems are daily here brother. and YES i can get beer here...and COLD...well... not as cold as my old convenience store in da hood...but cold enough! Is it good? It leaves something to be desired. Even a schmuck like me who drinks only mich ultra in the states, knows good beer. It's okay, not fantastic. Now about the phone calls. I do get calls frequently from my mother and my sister. So it'll go through pretty decently. It's whether or not it's just too expensive for you. I'd understand if it were. But at anyrate, I get 5 bars here and get usually great reception. My number international is 011-228-985-2860. Alright man,catch you later!

mike

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike!!
It's awesome to be reading your blog -- I still think it's crazy that you're in Africa, but it sounds like you're having tons of great opportunities...

May I just say...the phrase "You have a solid feces day, it's a good day." cracked me up.
I look forward to reading more about what you're up to. We miss you back home!!!
Stay safe, buddy :]

PS,
How are you holdin' up on showers? :]